Sunday, March 28, 2010

EXPLOSIVE ENCOUNTER: 3 DAYS, 3 REASONS

I can't contain the excitement I'm feeling right now. Imagine, three days from now, I'll be home again to my beloved Philippines. For an OFW's perspective, to be home and be one's family and friends is a blessing. At least, for a few days, an OFW's sadness or homesickness can be warded off. In my case, it's more than that. Going back in th Philippines and staying for days mean reconnecting with my identity as a Filipino, as a son, a brother, and a friend.

No one can deny I'm very excited to go home. In fact, I started my countdown long before I got my plane ticket. To me, the thought of a vacation is simply overwhelming and worth highly anticipating. Although I just had a vacation last December because I attended my brother's wedding, still, vacation in the Philippines is a reality which never fail to excite an OFW's emotional baggage.

As a springboard on my ecstatic state, few weeks ago, I printed on paper my "lakwatsa" schedule with family and friends. Here's some: my family and I will go to Bicol. We will be observing "Cuaresma" or Holy Week there. In addition, my family and I will take a tour at Camaromoan and at the Camarines Sur Water Complex after the Holy Week.

My family and I also agreed to go in Subic for more under the sun adventure. Also, we will have an overnight at Laguna and afterwhich, plunge at the cold breeze of Tagaytay.

Despite these compact schedules, I have allotted some time to meet my closest friends. I am definitely expecting sleepless nights packed with food trippin, road adventure, a parade of chikahan, and a lot more chaotic fun! These are not to be missed. I guess, it's fatal! =)

Today, in preparation of my vacation, I already shopped some pasalubong for my closest friends and for my family. I also began to review and jot down my itineraries for a one month vacation.

Since I will be leaving my room for one month, I already arranged my books, DVDs and personal stuffs. I am definitely expecting a pile of dusts to surface. Perhaps, I will just think of cleaning the mess when I get back.

Honestly, my feelings right now are mixed. For the past days, my mind has been pondering on a lot of things. To lessen the psychological burden, I am ready to share it with you.

In Brunei, I am able to save. I am not saying I wasn't able to save back in the Philippines. Positively, what I saved here in the Abode of Peace is in dollars. And with this reality, I am looking at it as an advantage for me just in case I plan move, work and live in another country. If you have been following some of my Facebook shout outs, I am planning to either go in New Zealand and Australia where I can bring my family. Hopefully, God will hear my wishes and grant me soon.

Oddly, despite the good financial status I have, I still feel something is lacking in my life. I guess you felt that same feeling of being at a state of uncertainty at one point in your life. In my case, I'm getting bored with my job. Despite the creative input which is always required in my job, I sometimes feel the facing the computer from 8 am until 5 pm is so flat. Thankfully, few client meetings break the monotony.

Career is very important to me. I love my job. I like sharing my creativity. I enjoy throwing my naughty ideas and sometimes vulnerable thoughts. However, over the past weeks, as boredome knocks, I began to seek a different career path. Don't get me wrong. I plan to finish my cotract here in Brunei. But for now, I am looking at teaching, production work or job which require higher interactivity as my options.

I couldn't give up my life in Brunei because of two apparent reason: Comfort, school and Church Service. I must say I am so blessed since the day I arrived in this peaceful country.

Brunei has been so gooood to me. It has given me an unsurpassed level of comfort and security which I also wish my own country can provide me and the millions of Filipinos scattered in the world. From being a foreign country, Brunei has become my second home which not only stuffed with happiness and good memories, but also has put some weight on my body which I am struggling to battle out with.

In Brunei, traffic jam is an abnormal sight. The roads are clean. The cars follow road signs. Each and everyone gives way. On top of these, positioned as a city on the middle of a rich ecosystem, Brunei bustling city is occupied by birds and different animals which blend well with cosmopolitan landscape.

I plan to stay for another two years in Brunei because I want to finish my masters here. As a Development Communication student, I want to reach out to our Kababayans who need guidance and knowledge enrichment. Hopefully, I can design a program which can best address the changing and even the basic needs of the OFWs here. Relatively, after my masters, I can pursue another degree in Media Studies.

Lastly, if there's anything I will surely miss in Brunei if I will leave, that is Church Service. The choir has been my constant source of strength to overcome homesickness in a foreign land. To me, Friday choir practice is more than rehearsing songs for the Sunday mass. It also means reconnecting with my kababayans and good friends who remind me how life is worth enjoying. And in a way, cantorship not only has led to the improvement of my singing skills, but has catalyzed for more dedication in serving our Dear Lord and optimizing the fulfilling essence of sharing one's own talent. On top of that, the good advices from others and my deep faith in God keep me more positive in my overseas journey.

Now, as I pack my bags and head back to the Philippines, I promise myself to truly enjoy my vacation. Truth is, I need a break. I have to energize myself as I see the big waves of school work in June and more work loads in May. With God, I believe I can manage all of these challenges. Mabuhay tayong lahat!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis