Thursday, July 15, 2010

EXPLOSIVE ENCOUNTER: JERUDONG PARK!

Last week, I had to chance to visit one of Brunei’s tourist attractions, Jerudong Park. I visited the park together with my officemate because we have to check the location for a possible future event venue.

Since I was already in the park, I utilized my phone to capture the simplicity of the place.


First opened in 1994, Jerudong Park was known for many reasons:


1. Michael Jackson performed a free concert in Jerudong Park Ampitheatre on 16 July 1996, which was attended by over 60,000 people. The concert was in celebration of the 50th birthday of Hassanal Bolkiah, the Sultan of Brunei and was attended by the Brunei royal family, though the Sultan himself did not attend.


2. In late 2008, JPCC launched its Family Concert Nights (later renamed "Local is Best - Family Entertainment Night) featuring local artists. The program aims to provide local talents with a proper venue for their talent, and to create a niche crowd that will support and patronize these performances. The shows are reviewed by a Censorship Board to ensure that they are family friendly and abide by the cultural and religious norms. To date, the venue has hosted performances by A Band Once, L.One, Karacoma, I Mean the Snakes, Zul F and Maria, and performances from schools such as Expression Music School and Ballet Regina.


Tickets to the Playground have been reduced to B$5 for adults and B$3 for children. Single ride tickets are sold at BN$2 per ride. The Musical Fountain, still one of the best in Asia, plays regularly every Wednesdays to Sundays beginning at 7:00 PM and every hour thereafter. Entrance to the Musical Fountain is only B$2. A new schedule has been introduced for the Musical Fountain. The attraction plays at 8:30 and 9:30 PM. It has also been observed that its features, such as the famous Times Square Garden with the Crystal clock and fountain features has been revived.


3. On December 12, 2009, JPCC Management introduced a new ticket system. Entrance to the Playground was made free, and guests who wanted to use the attractions had the option to buy an $8 4 plus 1 ride ticket, and a $10 5 plus 3 ride ticket. The move has proven to be a big success as it was observed that more people have come to the Park, with family groups comprising a large number of the guests.


The Park has seen some revitalization with changes to its landscape and garden features. It is now better lit and is cleaner and more presentable. The Management team of Hj Asmalee bin Hj Bujang and Engr Eduardo Malaque, the Playground Daytime Operations Manager and Head of Ride and Facilities Maintenance respectively, under the direction of the General Manager Mr. Russell Finney, has worked hard to make the Playground a beautiful, safe and fun place to visit.


* Musical Fountain show featuring hits by Ricky Martin, Michael Jackson, and several Disney Classics

* F1 go-cart attractions - Supakarts

* Kiddie Rides such as:


Carousel, Pedal Boat, The Juniors - Pirate Ship, Skydiver, and Bumper Car and orbiter Family rides/attractions such as the Adult Bumper Car, The Shooting Gallery, Caterpillar.


The above information came from wikipedia.


For me, the park seems to be very simple and plain; there's not much to see but the serene surroundings and the lifeless rides and playground. Perhaps, it's still early for some excitement.


As we roam around, I took some photos of the things that piqued my interest.


The water boats. Yes! you can do some boat adventure!



The water fountain. I suppose this one has lights at night.


Some fake dragons! I saw this one before at night. It was moving. Kinda cute.


The wooden bench. I feel these seats are perfect for some dramatic shoot.


Some place to hang around!

Wide grassy area. Mind you, it's so clean and smooth!


A long hall way. I imagine this as a place to do some Music Video shoot!



Character seats! Is this slavery? Kinda has the Alice in Wonderland tone! Where's the Big Head Red Queen?

Statue Horses in action! Cool!

Moving forward, my friend, who has been staying here in Brunei for the longest time, told me that much have changed in the park. Before, the entrance and the rides were all free. Now, a fee is being charged. On top of that, some of the big rides were already sold.


The grand carousel. Kinda miss Enchanted Kingdom when I saw this ride!



The playground. Cute camels though!

Snakes and Ladders, anyone?

Water fountains in the entrance!

Interestingly, it's the cleanliness of the place that creates the loudest impression especially for visitors like me! =)



The exit road:

Perhaps next time, I can go further in exploring Jerudong Park. Seriously, my tour was a bit half-cooked. Of course, I was up for work and not for 'Jalan-Jalan' (Lakwatsa)

On a positive note, at least I got a glimpse of Jerudong Park at day time. The last time I was here, it was at night time. I was with my colleagues. And we tried the Supahkart in one spontaneous moment!

I'm sure, there will always be another time. I need to fix my schedule and go back to this park! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis