Last night, I was reading a book on media studies and the word “popular” kept on popping out. As I continue reading, I came to ponder that what’s popular then in my younger years was subjectively constructed or even unpopular to others. Perhaps, my interests were different from what others think as hot, “in” or patok. And so, I have listed some of the things that may solicit, “ha?” or “talaga?” from you, my dear readers. I also listed some my extreme consumption with ‘popular culture.’Read on and enjoy!
- Growing up, mas exposed ako sa Batibot rather than sa Sesame Street. Panalo si Manang Bola.
- We had our telephone line (thanks to Bayantel) in 2000.
- I haven’t seen any episode of Star Wars, not even one kahit sa TV!
- I watched the ‘Titanic’ for 5 times in a movie house – with highschool friends, with cousins, with my siblings, with my other friends, and a birthday treat. Saya no?
- I haven’t seen any movie of LOTR. Seriously, I would rather watch Harry Potter than watch this.
- I just watched Pirates of the Carribean in 2009.
- I’ve started to watch Desperate Housewives when I’m already here in Brunei (2009). Due to boredom, I put on a copy of the series. Yes, I enjoyed it and now, I’m so addicted watching it.
- I’m not a fan of romantic flick. Seriously, ask me to name a few and you’ll get a stare. Perhaps this is the reason why up to now eh I don’t have a lovelife?
- When I was young, I love watching 911. Nasa channel 9 yon. This is the television show that opened my appreciation on tragedies and saving lives. But it didn’t propel me to be doctor or nurse, or kahit maging lifeguard.
- I enjoyed reading R.L. Stines collections. Ito ang librong nagpa-appreciate sa akin to love mystery and horror.
- I’m not a big fan of science fiction books.
- I’m a late bloomer in reading books. I’m not exposed to American Literary Classics. Mas exposed pa ako sa Philippine Literature na sa tingin ko ay dapat kong ipagmalaki. Love na love ko ang mga nobela ng Pilipinas.
- I am a Harry Potter fan pero medium fan lang siguro. Di naman ako nakikipagpatayan para makabili ng book or those merchandise items.
- When Ally Mcbeal and Dawson’s Creek were so popular during my highschool years, frankly, I never got to watch an episode.
- Growing up, I’m more delighted in listening to Campus radio. As I remember, I even attempted calling to join a contest.
- Watching television made me believe that celebrities are spontaneous and natural in delivering their lines. Unfortunately, when I worked in a television network, I realized may ‘idiot’ board pala. Don ko na-gets ang ibig sabihin ng ‘idiot’ board!
- I love watching the dubbed/tagalized cartoons of ABS-CBN when I was in elementary. I specifically love watching “Cedie,” ‘The Secret Garden” and “Julio at Julia.”
- I was in grade 5 when I started to fancy stickers. For whatever reason (na hindi ko rin maipaliwanag), I bought stickers from a classmate. The sticker had a print of a name, “Dr. Prudente.” Up to now, di ko ma-explain bakit bumibili ako non.
- The first movie that I remember watching in a movie house is “Jurassic Park.” Well, yan eh base sa recall ko.
- For a time, ginawa kong orasan sa bahay ang Channel 9. Dib a, they have a clock sa gilid ng screen?
- Nung nauso ang roller blades at skateboard, hindi ako bumili. Ang ginagawa ko lang to feel ang enjoyment na parang naka-skates, nilalampaso ko ang sahig namin at pag madulas na, I’ll the BUNOT to play around.
- Uso nung highschool ang cleaners. Since I’m so fat then, super hate ko ang ma-assign na maglinis. Weird dahil ayokong pawisan before. Now you know kung bakit I’m so mataba before.
- Na-realize ko, Villa Quintana (GMA-7) was the tagalog soap opera na sinubaybayan ko.
- I fantasized before na maging contestant sa Metropop. Dream kong maging singer.
- I also became a fan of TGIS. Talagang inaabangan ko yan every Saturday.
- My siblings and neighbor tried ‘Trick or Treat’ when we were kinds. Ang saya pala. I was a manananggal during that hilarious door-to-door pangungulit.
- There was this one movie of Kuya Germs na paulit ulit kong napanuod pero I don’t know the title. He was a clown in that movie.
- Hindi ko rin makalimutan ang movie na ‘Espadang Patpat’ ni Dolphy. Super 15 times ata naming napanuod ng kapatid ko yon. Pinapanuod naming pag bored kami sa bahay. VHS pa yon.
- Dahil late bloomer ako sa pagbabasa, hindi ko pa noon masyadong na-appreciate ang diyaryo.
- Dahil music lover ako, may collection talaga ako ng mga cassette tapes ng popular groups noon -spice girls, aqua, boyz2men, Nsync, at kung sino sino pang grupo.
- Ang Coney Reyes on Camera at Lovingly Yours sa mga naka-impluwensya sa akin on drama writing. Kala ko dati, puros iyakan lang. Hindi pa.
- Isang computer game lang ang kinabaliwan ko. Yan eh ang Super Mario!
- Nung mauso ang tamagotchi, wala lang sa akin.
- My Korean Hand Gesture posing started in 2007. Pansin ko, halos lahat ng pics ko that year, may peace sign! Kaloka!
- Nakakamiss din pala ang typewriter kahit patok na patok ang ‘liquid’ or correction paper noh.
- Hindi pa uso nuon ang computer graphics kaya ‘mano-mano’ ang design ng projects.
- I’m not into writing nung bata ako. Ni hindi ko nga trip ang essay writing. Highschool na lang din ako nagstart magsulat when a teacher saw the potential in me. Thanks Teacher Anne Marie!
- Never had the chance to have a Jollibee party when I was a kid. Mas happy na kami sa house party especially prepared by my parents.
- When I was in preschool, uso ang stories on “naihe” sa shorts. Worse pa, ang iba “na-poop” sa shorts.
- Na-adik ako for a time sa paginom ng Coke dahil sa ‘Pog.’ Mega-collect talaga ako noon.
- I miss Sussy and Geno. Nag-campus tour sila when I was in pre-school.
- Kamusta naman ang Milo Free Drinks sa school? I wondered, bakit mas masarap yung pinamimigay sa kaysa sa pag ikaw na ang may gawa. Oh marketing style!
- Believe it or not, I’ve never been to Enchanted Kingdom. As in.
- Field trips in my growing years are Museums, Rizal Park, Nayong Pilipino or pati Wildlife malapit sa Circle. Kala ko naman ang layo, ke lapit lapit lang pala. Pinakamalayo na naming narrating eh nung 4th years Highschool ako. That is SUBIC!
- I was a boyscout in my elementary years. Yes, lagi akong handa.
- Dahil pa digital ang camera noon, pili ang shots at dapat ang pose eh sure na sure na. Mahal mag-pa-print dib a! Hanggang 36 shots lang!
- Since I live in Fairview (Yes, FAR-VIEW), SM North ang pinakamalapit na mall. Puros talahiban pa noon sa Novaliches kung saan nakatayo na ang SM Farview. Dahil dyan, luxury ang pagpunta sa Mall.
- That’s Entertainment was the ‘variety show’ nuon. Eat Bulaga naman sa Tanghali.
- We never missed watching Magandang Gabi Bayan’s Horror Special. Takutan talaga.
- Takot na takot ako sa Shake, Rattle and Roll noon. Ngayon, makakatulog pa ako sa horror part! LOL!
How about you, what’s popular to you and seemingly unpopular to others? Share na!
VOTE FOR MY BLOG ENTRY! VOTE FOR #22!
I AM INVITING EVERYONE TO VOTE FOR MY BLOG ENTRY TITLED "THE [BITTER] SWEET LIFE ABROAD." SIMPLY CLICK ON THE IMAGE BELOW AND VOTE FOR #22!
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!