Friday, November 12, 2010

EXPLOSIVE ENCOUNTER: MEGA-GASTOS!



The past days have been very crazy. I’ve been reading a lot, and I mean TONS. That’s because I have to come up with a research topic that I will pursue as thesis next semester. Currently, I’m interested in doing a research in media studies, censorship, collective psyche, communication in church organizations, and educational entertainment. Hopefully, I can piece my thoughts, soon.

I am taking two subjects this sem. I must say, both subjects are taxing. Both require critical thinking, more research and have loads of reading assignments. Hence, sleepless nights are inescapable.

Apparently, despite the pile of school requirements I have to finish, I gave in for some movie invite. Cecil, my supah buddy in Brunei, invited me for a movie night out. Since I hadn’t had any experience 3D, I affirmed to join in. Together with Aaron, we swing by at The Mall to watch the much-raved movie Megamind.

You know that I am in a stage of conquering a 3-day money-saving challenge called Savevivor, Dare to Save and Survive.  Sadly, for the past days, I’ve overspent. It all started last Thursday.

Last Thursday, I had an ocular inspection for our client’s store opening. Since the clock hit lunch time, my officemates and I opted to find the nearest restaurant. With extreme hunger combined with salivating appetite, my senses were at a lost. And so, I suggested (not good) a place where to pamper our raging tummy. Guess what, I suggested a pseudo-posh rest! 

(Still) A blessing in disguise, the restaurant offers an Executive Lunch. With a price of BND10.80, you get a pumpkin soup, chicken in mushroom sauce, a carrot cake, and iced tea. Actually, you can choose which soup, main course and dessert you prefer. 
 
On that day, our office assistant was with us. Knowing that our office assistant doesn’t have enough budget, I asked my other officemate for us to just divide the expenses. And that’s how I ended up paying out BND15.00 on a Thursday afternoon. Apart from a hefty yet pricey meal, I also spent BND1.20 for a loaf of bread which will last me for 4 days.

Came Friday, I overspent again. Since I craved for veggies, I went out for lunch with my officemate and shelved my packed lunch. I paid BND5.00 for a plate of mixed veggies with rice. Same day, I craved for sweets and so I bought a snickers bar that cost me BND1.50. And at night, I went out with Cecil and Aaron to watch Megamind in 3D. I paid BND11.00. On the side, I ordered a popcorn and a large iced tea.

With my spending for the past days, from the previous BND57.90, I am now left with BND16.20. Too bad, right?

If there are lessons I learned from the past days of my spending, here it goes:

(1) Stress can sometimes push you to spend more than what you need. I guess this is very common to some. Spending for something is therapeutic to combat work, school or simple life’s stress! In my case, I hope to manage stress with responsible spending. Cross fingers!

(2) The more you deprive yourself, the more you overspent if you’re given a chance to spend on things you crave the most. The best way is to sometimes give in to your cravings but still keeping your budget in control. In my case, I seriously love eating. That makes me FAAAAT and my wallet, uhm, malnourished!

(3) Cutting a portion in your budget to help people is rewarding. The art of sharing works best especially if you’re able to help or make someone happy with your little treats. Bottom line, it is always fulfilling to share one's abundant blessings.

(4) To spend without thinking your budget is liberating. However, at the end of the day, it is still best to reflect on the importance of saving a few dollars despite the enjoyment you had from a lavish spending. Believe it or not, there’s so much satisfaction that you can get from smart spending which I’m learning and re-learning.

(5) Good times with friends are costly sometimes. Apparently, spending largely depends on your decisions and actions. Stand by what you decide and manuever your actions by working on budget.

Now, my problem is, how will I be able to stretch BND16.20 for the next 18 days. I’m dead. Calling! Calling! Calling! Savevivor Lifeline! Abangan!

So, I watched Megamind in 3D. And I must say, I was blown away with how 3D works! To say that the thrilling visual and aural experience was amazing is just an understatement.  Sa totoo lang, para akong batang sobrang na-amaze!

I enjoyed watching Megamind as opposed to what my other friends raved that the Movie was pretty normal. I don’t think that the 3D coating qualifies Megamind in the hall of fame, but it’s interplay of binaries, humor, visual texture and perkiness added to its sucessful beat. Well, the humor (has a touch of Pinoy punch lines) and inventive lines were huge that Megamind’s big blue head!

Unforgettable things about Megamind:

(1) A villain looks for a hero to complete his purpose or role in the world. This is crazy but very funny.
(2) Uber funny dialogues.
(3) Quirky musical scoring – I so loooove the technical glitches on playing the right music!
(4) It was soooo funny to see Megamind waiting for a hero to come and fight with him.
(5) The ‘emotional’ moment under the rain was just plain cliché sweetened in a cartoonish setting.
(6) Minion was so cute. He’s a complete drama…queen?
(7) Ala-concert entrance of Megamind.

Some thoughts to ponder:
(1) The ‘hunyango’ effect as a reification of a society’s acceptance of a villian and hero.
(2) The representation of underdogs as society’s half-baked and sometimes ridiculed heroes.
(3) The interchanging representation of a hero and villian.
(4) The world saved by Megamind who comes from another planet.
(5) Beauty and love as paralleled with fame, popularity and social constructs.

So now, back to normal programming. Yes, back to drowning in a sea of books, readings, online papers, and Facebook!
 
NEWS FLASH!

VOTING IS EXTENDED UNTIL DECEMBER 9!

VOTE FOR MY BLOG ENTRY! VOTE FOR #22!

I AM INVITING EVERYONE TO VOTE FOR MY BLOG ENTRY TITLED "THE [BITTER] SWEET LIFE ABROAD," AN ARTICLE THAT COMPARES OVERSEAS LIFE WITH THE SWEETNESS OF A CHOCOLATE. SIMPLY CLICK ON THE IMAGE BELOW AND VOTE FOR #22, RATED E!

THANK YOU VERY MUCH! =)


No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis