Tuesday, July 26, 2011

PAIN IN MY TOES

Yesterday, I was absent in the office. I wasn't able to come to work because I had a swollen big toe in my left foot.

I was not surprised with the pain that I got in my big toe. Apparently, with the food I enjoyed back in the Philippines and the less liquid intake, yes, a GOUT said hello to my body.

I have a history of GOUT. In fact, I was 22 when I experienced the pain in my right foot. I was unable to walk in a day, which was just a hassle because I was finishing my undergraduate thesis and I was working on a school group project. Good thing, the doctor recommended a medicine which got rid of the pain immediately, and I was able to walk slowly.

I don't know if it's a coincidence that whenever I'm about to graduate in a degree, GOUT visits me. Either brought by stress, one thing is to be blamed: the unhealthy lifestyle that could is reinforced by the lack of exercise and unhealthy eating.

Have you ever experienced that pain in your big toe? Have you ever suspected that it could be a GOUT? Well, read on to learn its symptoms and how you (especially me) could avoid such ordeal!



As I've read in most online journals, GOUT, which is derived from the Latin word "gutta" which means " a drop,"and known as PODAGRA when it involves the big toe, is a form of medical condition wherein there is an attack of acute inflammatory arthritis. The arthritis causes the red, tender and swollen joint in the big toe.

 In my case, my big toe has become swollen for days. As of writing, I can still feel some pain. But thanks to some medicines, the pain is now tolerable and I can walk normally, which is far from my crippled walk yesterday.

Based on what the doctor told me, gout is brought about by high level of Uric Acid in the blood which crystallize and are deposited in joints, tendons and surrounding tissues. Apart from gout, most patients are also undergone some kidney tests. The kidney may also be affected with the high level of uric acid. In my case, I am confident that my Kidneys are safe. This is based on a check up which I had last year. But of course, I would want to be checked again when I get back to the Philippines.

Currently, I am taking a medicine called Allopurinal, which I had to take for two months and which is aimed to lower the level of Uric Acid. On one hand, to get rid of the swollen toe, I am taking Colchicine.

Also known as "the disease of kings" or "rich man's disease," attacks of uric acid could be lowered through lifestyle change. Apart from exercising, a person who has high level of uric acid should avoid eating high-protein foods such as peanuts, chocolates. Meat should be taken in moderation. A low-calorie diet is also suggested among individuals who have elevated levels of Uric acid in the blood.  On top of it, one must NOT eat seafood or those with purine-rich foods such as select fishes.Red meat and Organ meat is not allowed. As well alcohol intake. One must also avoid beans!

What's scary about having gout is it's related to Highblood pressure, diabetes, and a lot more complications.

Gaaaaaawd! Having read all of these information, seriously, I promise to be cautious with my diet and EXERCISE again. Grabe naman at ilang araw lang ako sa Pinas (with the non-stop eating and lack of Taichi) eh may hume-hello ng Gout. Scary!

Now, here's the deal. I have to go for a VEGETARIAN diet. Goodluck to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis