Sunday, October 30, 2011

GIG ON HALLOWEEN IN BRUNEI

So how's your weekend? How's mine? Well, apart from being so busy in reviewing for my upcoming IELTS exam, which I had to pass so that I will be able to take a PhD, I've been busy with my choir's upcoming concert. But despite my busy schedule, I was able to perform on stage at Brunei Hotel last Saturday. I was invited by my friend to perform for the halloween event of the newly-renovated hotel.

Wanna know more? Read on!


DK or Dayangku invited me to perform last Saturday at Brunei Hotel. DK and her band have been performing in different places inside and outside Brunei since like, forever?

I arrived at around 8 in the evening wearing an unexplainable outfit. Seriously, even I can't explain what I wore. Call it fashion disaster or a runway fest, I call it, smorgasbord!

Actually, I didn't have any idea what to wear for the said event. The only thing that I had in mind was to perform well. So, with my performance as a priority, grabbing clothes from my closest and mix-matching everything was quick and .

I wore a beret with a Che Guevarra print on it. To pair it, I had a white V-neck shirt, with a vest and my signature accessory - the dog tag with letter "E" as design, the first letter of my name. Then I wore a chequered or retro pants. My shoes was designed with stripes. The ensemble gave me one look: A matchstick!

I look like a matchstick!

During the event, I sang two songs. The first song was an Indonesian Song which I've been learning since the day I heard the song, three years ago. It's just recent that I had the energy and focus to sing it. The Indonesian song is entitled "Terima Kasih Cinta" by Afgan. It's a very dramatic love song.

Here is the original song, "Terima Kasih Cinta" (Thank you My Love), with english subtitle.



The band gave a twist on our rendition of "Terima Kasih Cinta." Instead of playing it in a very depressing beat, we had it in Bossa Nova. With this unique melody, I was so happy that the crowd went singing with me.

On the side, before I performed, my friend introduced me (insert: Gaaaawd, I'm flattered!) as Brunei's Superstar. She even said that people should watch out and anticipate my performances.
DK and her Band!

After I sang my first song, I went back to my seat and had some light refreshments. Soon, I was back again on stage. This time, I sang an english song; it's "I Swear." Applause from the crowd capped off my singing stint.

***
Last Saturday night's gig was similar to enjoying a night with a band in some restaurant in the Philippines. Although the place was not packed with people, the event was a success in Brunei because it was able to at allow some locals and foreigners to experience the idea of an acoustic treat especially in time of Halloween.

As I was talking to my friend, I said to her that while she was singing, I kinda felt I was transported back in the Philippines. With all the sounds and sights that night, it was indeed an exciting and lovely affair.

The band played some upbeat songs in the second set.

***
I didn't record my performances last Saturday night. But I am very proud to share the rehearsal video of my rendition of "Terima Kasih Cinta." Apologies for my accent. I'm still learning. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis