Monday, October 17, 2011

HALO-HALO IN BRUNEI

Who would have thought that the Philippines' ever popular Halo-halo could be found in Brunei? Okay. I should not be surprised especially in this time of globalization, the flow of products (human, services, and goods) just come and go in different territories.

So how's the taste of the Halo-Halo? Well, lasang halo-halo (Vice Ganda lang). But there's a catch.


Growing up, I've always been a fan of street foods. From tukneneng, itlog pugo, banana cue, and even ice candy, scramble, gulaman and halo-halo, I've never missed a day without getting my taste buds on these street wonders.

On one hand, the only street food that I'm not a fan of is the Isaw or the skewered chicken intestines. I'm also afraid to try the betamax or the chicken's blood, and the Adidas or the chicken's foot. Why? my paranoia to get sick on eating bizarre food always stop me from trying these Filipino faves.

With this, when I was studying in UP or in the University of the Philippines, Diliman, I (seriously) never had the chance to eat in the stalls that sell Isaw. Smelling the smokey dish and the seeing the group of adults gather in the wooden stalls were my close encounters with how great and best-selling an Isaw is. Up to now, I'm still a lurker on the enjoyment of eating Isaw.

The Isaw is not the catch on the Halo-Halo that I've recently tried in Brunei (lol). But since the halo-halo reminded me of the rich concoctions in Manila streets, there goes the short entry. Now, let's go back to the halo-halo feast!

So the catch? The Halo-halo tasted like Chowking's Halo-Halo! Chowking is a very popular chinese-themed fastfood restaurant in the Philippines. It is where you can get budget-friendly chow fan, wanton, buchi (my fave!), lauriat meals, and a lot more.

Apart from the big serving, the Halo-halo was topped with ice cream. Mine was with a mango and ube flavoured ice cream. Then, it also had leche flan. Plus, it was filled with so much milk and add ons - beans, banana, some pinipig, and a lot more. Priced at BND2.00 or 60 pesos, the Halo-Halo was just worth it!


If I would rate the Halo-halo that I tasted, well, 4/5! Winner!

As I was eating, I realized how bad that I've been living in Brunei for more than 3 years now and it's just recently that I knew that a food stall that sells the best and popular halo-halo in Brunei is just 10 minutes from our staff house. Not that it's an advantage (so I can sneak out and buy anytime), but it's something that's good to share especially among foreigner friends in the abode of peace to let them experience a Filipino's popular summer season dessert - the Halo-Halo.


So, if you're craving for some cold and sweet fix like the Halo-Halo, you can check out Sumbangsih Mulia in Beribi. It won't disappoint. It's a must taste, as in!

Brunei has it's version of our Halo-halo. It's called ABC. The only difference is, the ice in the ABC is not crushed. The ABC has corn, beans, gelatin, sugar syrup, and evaporated milk. In Singapore and Malaysia, they have the Ais Kacang, which comes close to our Halo-halo. Interesting noh?

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis