Friday, October 5, 2012

KUALA LUMPUR HOP-ON HOP-OFF

In my recent trip to Malaysia, one of the best things that I enjoyed the most is touring Kuala Lumpur via KL Hop-on Hop-off Bus. It's a 7-day operation bus tour which brings tourists around Kuala Lumpur. What's more exciting, the bus stops at over 23 stopovers, which are accessible to hotels, tourist spots, train stations, and major malls.

Since I was on a shoe string budget in my recent trip, getting on KL Hop-on Hop-off was glorious. Not only that I was able to visit museums, a national mosque, and Merdeka Square, I also felt at home with few tourists who are just hungry to explore or discover the beauty of Kuala Lumpur.

Now, join me as I give you tips on where to hop on and off and how much should you pay if you wish to experience KL's Hop-on Hop-Off.



It was already late afternoon when I rode KL Hop-on Hop off. I was in Batu Caves in the morning and it was already 1 pm when I reached KL Sentral Station. I was on my second day in Malaysia then that I decided (as stated in my planned itinerary) that I would like to check out the "amazing" Hop-on Hop-off bus.

When I reached KL Sentral, since I was clueless where should I hop on, I asked some locals. Positively, they pointed me to Bus Stop 11, which is located across KL Sentral Station.

Clueless with how the payment scheme is, I waited for the bus to come. Finally, after 30 minutes, viola, the pink and vibrant appeared on the road. I said to myself, "This is it pansit! Come to papa!"

I had a great time riding the Hop-on Hop-off bus. The moment I got in, I immediately paid RM38. The ticket is valid for use for 24 hours from the time and date stated on the ticket. But bear in mind that the operation of the bus is fr om 8:30 am until 8:30 pm only.

The bus has a relaxing interior. The aircon is cold enough to pamper my pagoda self. On one hand, there are also some brochures on KL's tourist spots, which you can grab for free. On top of that, the bus operators announce the next bus stop and the tourist spots that it covers.


When I was inside the bus, I thought that the idea of the Hop-on Hop-off bus is brilliant especially to compliment a country's strategy on boosting one's tourism. Actually I thought of having this in Brunei or even in the Philippines.

During my hop-on hop-off adventure, I visited a few spots such as the National Museum, The National Palace, The National Mosque, Menara KL Tower, and Merdeka Square. As I toured, the bus was also consistent with its 30-minutes interval.
National Palace

Menara KL Tower

Muzium Negara

National Mosque

Merdeka Square

Now, here are some tips for you if you wish to go for KL Hop-on Hop-off Bus.

Question: Where do I hop on and hop off?
Answer: You can hop on at any bus station. You won't be lost because the signage of the bus stops are very clear and attractive. It's pink in colour.

Question: Where do I purchase the ticket?
Answer: If you haven't bought your ticket, simply hop and pay. The ticket is valid for 24 hours from the time and date stated on the ticket.

Question: How much is the ticket?
Answer: It's RM38 per head.

Question: Do I need to hop off in every bus stopover?
Answer: Nope. You can just stay inside the bus and hop off in places that you'd like to explore. In my case, since I was so tired, I opted not to go to the gardens and some parks. More or more, I conquered Museums, a mosque, historic sites, and the Palace!

Question: How long should I wait for the next bus?
Answer: Hop-on Hop-off buses have a 30-minute interval. Just wait in the bus station to get on.

Question: Should I hop on at Bus Station No. 1?
Answer: You can. But you can hop on at any bus station. In my case, I got in at Bus Station 11, in KL Sentral Station.

Now, here's a map to show you a picture of the Hop-on Hop-off route. I also listed below the spots that you may want to visit.

Bus Stop No.

1 - Matic (Malaysia Tourism Centre)
2- KL Tower
3 - KL City Walk
4- Aquaria
4- Kuala Lumpur Convention Centre
5 - Karyaneka
5 - Craft Cultural Complex
 5 - Rumah Penhulu Abu Seman
6 - Sungai Wang Plaza, BB Plaza
6 - Picolo Galleria, Starhill, Lot 10
6- Bintang Walk
6 - Berjaya Times Square
6- Ain of Arabia
6 - Cosmo's World Theme Park
6 - Information Counter
7 - Tengkat Tong Shin
8 - Chinatown
8 - Merdeka Stadium
9 - Central Market
9 - Sri Mahamariamman Temple
10 - Little India
11- KL Sentral
12 - National Museum
13- National Palace
14 - Parliament Building
14 - National Monument
14 - Asean Sculpture Park
14 - Perdana Bontanical Gardens
15 - Orchid Garden
15 - Bird Park
15 - Butterfly Park
15 - National Planetarium
15- Tun Abdul Razak Memorial
16- Islamic Art Museum
16 - National Mosque
16 - Kuala Lumpur Railway Station
17 - Merdeka Square
17 - Royal Selangor Club
17 - Sultan Abdul Samad Building
17 - Jamek Mosque
17 - St. Mary's Church
18 - Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman
21 - Istana Budaya
21 - Titiwangsa Lake Garden
21- National Visual Art Gallery
21 - National Library
21 - Petronas Twin Tower
23 - Kuala Lumpur City Centre

Information and Ticketing Counter

KL Hop-on Hop-off
Lot 109, Jalan Ampang, 50450 Kuala Lumpur
Open from 9 am until 6 pm daily.
Website: www.myhoponhopoff.com

2 comments:

  1. thanks for the article !

    ReplyDelete
  2. this give me more excitement for our tour! Thanks for this! :)

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis