Sunday, November 4, 2012

TRIP TO THAILAND: CONFERENCE ON MEDIA AND COMMUNICATION


Last week I was in Bangkok Thailand for a 3-day conference on Media and Communication, organized by the Asian Congress for Media and Communication. I presented my paper entitled “Blogging Away from Home: Blogs as Discursive Platforms for Empowerment among Overseas Filipino Worker (OFW) Bloggers. I was also tasked to chair the New Media and Education session in the said academic gathering.

I didn’t expect that I will extremely enjoy my stay in Bangkok. In my mind, apart from being focused to properly present my research in an International conference, I couldn’t see myself on the streets of the Land of Smiles as with he conference’s tight schedule. Surprisingly, I found a way to experience the wonders on Bangkok, in broad daylight and at night. Thanks to newly-found friends in Bangkok, I gained lots of unforgettable experiences around Thailand.


Few months before the conference, I emailed the organizers that I’m looking for an accommodation in Bangkok. I thought of getting a cheap and neaby hotel to Chulalongkorn University, the venue of the conference. Positively, the organizers emailed me that another presenter is looking for an accommodation and so the idea of room sharing was brought up. In the end, I agreed to share a room with a co-presenter and so I met Res.

I left Manila, at Clark Pampanga, on a rainy morning. Positively, a sunny Bangkok welcomed me.

I tell you, Suvarnabhumi Airport is undeniably stunning. The airport’s interior wowed my senses. In fact, as I was walking and queuing for the immigration and baggage claim, I couldn't help staring on the high ceiling and the interior design of the airport.
Arrival Hall

Immigration

Flight Arrival

Baggage Claim

Gate 7!

On a happy note, I was thankful with the Agent who booked my ticket and accommodation in Thailand. Apart from their quick response in my emails, I didn’t have any problems in my arrival and departure. In Suvarnabhumi airport, I was fetched by the representative and was sent to my hotel.

I stayed at MyHotel. It’s quite far from Chulalongkorn University and a walk is needed to reach the main highway, where Tuktuk (A tricycle like public transportation) and Taxis are available.

My Hotel in Soi 12, Petchburi Road!

TV with Thai Channels!

Vanity area!

Small fridge!

Clean beds!

What do I love about MyHotel? I can say that the hotel is clean, spacious enough for room sharing and yes, oh yes, there’s hot shower. With regards to wi-fi, I paid BHT99 for a 24-hour wifi. I heard, that’s cheap already as some hotel charges BHT250 above for a 24-hour connection.

On the day that I arrived in Bangkok, the conference had already started. The opening ceremony started at 1:30. Apparently, since I was tired from my flight, I rested for few minutes in the hotel and freshened up. Surprisingly, before I left the office, Res came. And so we went to the conference together.

The conference was a great event. I didn’t only get to learn a wide array of studies and approaches on media and communication, but it also served as a venue to showcase one’s research. Apart from that,  everyone was delighted with Chulalongkorn’s creative cultural performances. The performances was also paired with mouth-watering food ranging from snacks and lunches. Meanwhile, I chaired the New Media and Education session on the second day of the conference and presented my paper on the last day.

At the conference!



Me with the talented performers!

Great food!

Awarding of Certificate

With the organizers of the ACMC Conference!

Overall, although I attended a few sessions in the conference, I am satisfied with the researches that were presented. Apart from learning various topics and approaches in research, I enjoyed the academic exchange of thoughts after the presenters presented their study. At some point, I also shared my insights on topics that I know and I’m interested with.

Given this, I would love to participate in more conferences especially now that I’m walking into a new journey, my PhD in Australia.

UP NEXT: Friends and Tours in Thailand!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis