Tuesday, April 2, 2013

A NEW SEASON


Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah! Finally, I've had the chance to update this blog. Surprisingly, I get to upload one entry per month. Am I that busy? The answer is ABSOLUTELY YES!
A new season in Melbourne has begun. It’s already Autumn; Americans call it "Fall." Having said this, I’ve already started to feel (and combat) the “freezing” and “windy” weather. In fact, just two weeks ago, I had the “privilege” to experience, in a “pre” or “teaser” state, the upcoming winter season. But since it’s just Autumn, its best to savour the “not-so-cold-yet” days before the harassing winter comes in June, which apparently is my birthday month and so I’m hoping not to get sick in that time. I admit that I’m not used to a cold weather and so I’m now preparing for the “worse” possible “freezing” scenario in the upcoming days.

However, if there's any consolation that one can get from this cold weather is to enjoy the diverse and unique Autumn/Winter fachion of the people. It's in here that you can play around with "layering." In my case, I'm fine with a scarf and a jacket. I guess a gloves will come handy, soon. At the moment, I'm pretty much satisfied with "layering" a shirt and a jacket. 

Truth be told, there are things that I want to share (to vent out, actually) which I’ve experienced for the past days. While I am consistent with my research, I realize that I’m “stressing” myself. To say the word “stress” is an understatement. Perhaps it’s more of “hara-kiri” (yeah, that much?). With a self-imposed deadline, I am pushing myself too much to finish essays and meet submissions. Apparently, a stressful life or not giving myself enough rest is not good for me. In the end, I just end up grappling with writing. And so I’ve decided to take some days off for a few days, which happened over the Holy Week or holidays.

What’s with the stress?

 I’m OA and I exaggerate, I think? With my PhD candidacy to happen this year, which I and my supervisor should agree upon, the pressure is on. Although I don’t think about it too much, still, I get the goosebumps. But as my co-PhD student told me, “With enough time and my skills, you should be fine on your PhD Confirmation.” So be it.

Speaking of research, although my research framework and objectives are clearly identified, I feel that I have one portion of my research which I should work more on; that’s about mobile media. But I’m not worried about this because I have four months to go to read and expound my literature review.

Another “feeling” that I’ve been nursing for the past days is the truth that I miss my family and the Philippines. Why? How come? I know, right? I lived in Brunei for more than four years. I was away from my family. And surprisingly, I didn’t have much challenges or issues on my emotions during that time. Perhaps Brunei is not that far from the Pilippines, it’s a tropical country and there’s no time difference. Unlike here in Melbourne, we’re three hours ahead (and sometimes two hours, depends on daylight saving). On another note, I guess, which is somehow relative and linked to my “dramas”, the cold weather contributes in my “homesickness.” More than that, considering that I’m on my 4th month in Melbourne, I can just say to myself that I’m "still" on an “adjustment” period. But still, there are times that I will wake up in the morning and hope to hear the familiar voices of my family. Reality check, I’m a thousand miles away from them. On a brighter side, I can manage and absolutely handle my emotions. Tough cookie here!

Since the beginning of Autumn I’ve started to buy some clothes. Not that I want to do a fashion show but I seriously and definitely need those clothes to combat the cold weather. With a budget in mind, I am able to purchase practically budget-friendly items. Positively, my friend brought me to a Factory Outlet which helped me to grab some winter shoes and jackets. Don't ask how much I spent. It's... oh well!

Overall, my stay in Melbourne is enjoyable yet challenging. It has a mix of sadness and happiness. It’s more or more a love and hate relationship. I love Melbourne for all its cultural beauty and its diversity. I feel blessed to finally pursue a PhD and learn a lot. But it’s just the unpredictable weather that makes me paranoid and sometimes “emotional.” On a positive side, my body has started to adopt with the weather. In short, being dramatic has become part of my “dramatic” life.

Speaking of the cold weather, I feel that the cold breeze makes me poetic at times. In fact, there are times that I want to grab a pen and paper and write what’s in my mind. Perhaps I can start on this project to extract and immortalize my poems. 

Me and Zumba Instructor, Helen!
Before I end this entry I would like to share to all of you that I recently auditioned for a musical, “The Life of St. Francis of Assisi.” Good news, I passed and I’m offered with four roles. I am considering as one of my “stress” relievers in my PhD journey. Truth is, I miss singing. This is one of the outlets that I can channel my energy into.

Meanwhile, I am now a ZUMBAnatic (Zumba + Addict) or a person, which I coin, who is inclined or addicted to Zumba. In fact, just last week, my instructor asked me to choreograph a Salsa number. Positively, I succeeded. So now, as part of my “stress-busting” strategy, I’ve told myself to engage more in Zumba. It’s also a perfect fit as I love dancing.

That’s it for the meantime. I’ll keep you posted on my adventures here in Melbourne.

2 comments:

  1. Looking good Earvs! Goodluck on your research. :)
    Looking forward of your Melbourne updates. :)

    -Riz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Riz! Ngayon ko lang ito nakita! Masyadong busy sa research! #Grabe #Lang

      Delete

ShareThis